|!||Deze opleiding communiceert alleen in het Engels.|
We tonen daarom de Engelstalige opleidingsinformatie.
Leiden University's Master's in Latin American Studies (Research) is your opportunity to explore the social, cultural, and historical narratives shaping present-day Latin America.
Taught by international researchers, this multidisciplinary programme centres around the theme 'Latin American Modernities: Resistance, Revival and Change'.
Explore the different forms of modernity in Latin America within one of three areas: culture and identity, state-society relations, and literature, arts and media. A comparative, area studies approach to learning provides a broader, global context to all issues.
This programme attracts talented students and staff from around the world. Small classes ensure you get the most from in-class discussions and direct contact with your international peers and lecturers.
An important focus of this programme is developing your ability to conduct high-quality scientific research, including field research in a Latin American country. A substantial part of the programme is taught in Spanish, developing your proficiency in the Spanish language.
- Leiden University's Humanities Faculty was recently ranked 25th in the Times Higher Education worldwide ranking.
|diplomaMA Latijns-Amerika Studies (research)|
|typeonderzoek, 120 EC|
|start1 februari, 1 september|
|opleidingsduur2 jaar voltijd|
|heeft geen numerus fixus|
heeft een honours programma
Waarom aan de Universiteit Leiden?
- Leiden University's Humanities department recently ranked number 1 in Europe and 17th worldwide in the Times Higher Education ranking. At Leiden University, the oldest university in the Netherlands, you can access world-class resources such as those of the famous Leiden University Library and its collections of original manuscripts and periodicals.
- At Leiden University we have a dedicated team of international researchers in the field of Latin American Studies. All classes are taught by accomplished scholars at Leiden or by scholars from our international network of universities and research institutes in the Latin American region. Small classes give students valuable time interacting with their lecturers and the necessary support to reach their full potential.
- Your qualification from Leiden University is respected by organisations worldwide. Our two-year research master programmes are designed to develop your potential as a researcher and a critical thinker. You also have the opportunity to gain hands-on professional experience by conducting research abroad, or taking part in an internship at an organisation.
- Culture and identity
- State-society relations
- Literature, arts and media
A substantial part of the programme is taught in Spanish. You can write your papers and MA thesis in Spanish, English or Portuguese.
During your first year you take two core courses covering the latest theoretical debates on the subject of modernity. You also study a relevant methodology course and submit a research proposal for your MA thesis.
Three opportunities are available for you to study an elective in your chosen area of specialisation.
During your second year, you conduct research in a country of your choice in Latin America. This can be fieldwork, which is gathering first-hand information, or socio-semiotics, which involves conducting discourse and image analysis. Once back in Leiden you will complete your thesis based on the data collected.
For a more detailed description of the programme, see the e-Prospectus which applies to the current academic year; https://studiegids.leidenuniv.nl/en/studies/show/6371/latin-american-studies-research
Resistance, Revival and Change; Mechanisms and Expressions
Theoretical Approaches to Modernities in Latin America
Thematic Accent I Elective
Research School Course Latin American Studies
Thematic Accent II Elective
Thematic Accent III
Methods II: Research in Latin America
Methods III: Writing Workshop
|taal van onderwijs||50% en|
honours-/excellence program Leiden Leadership Programme
The Leiden Leadership Programme (LLP) is an honours programme of 15 ECs on top of the regular master's curriculum. The programme consists of training courses, seminars and a practical assignment.
Are you looking for an extra challenge in addition to your Leiden master's programme? Are you adventurous enough to look beyond the borders of your own master's programme? The Leiden Leadership Programme may be just what you are looking for.
The programme gives you the opportunity to develop your leadership skills. You will follow seminars and courses, as well as carrying out a practical assignment for a company or organisation as part of a small, multidisciplinary team. Your lecturers will be leading academics and experienced professionals from the business sector.
Toelating en studiekosten
|1 februari 2019||aanmelding deadline : 1 december 2018|
wettelijk tarief : € 2083
niet-EU/EER studenten : € 17500
|1 september 2019||aanmelding deadline : 15 juni 2019|
wettelijk tarief : € 2083
niet-EU/EER studenten : € 17500
Knowledge, understanding and skills comparable to those acquired upon graduating from the Bachelor's programme in Latin American Studies from Leiden University, specifically:
- Elementary knowledge and understanding of the most important cultural and historical developments in Latin America.
- Ability to deal with theories about the chosen research subject and to apply those theories into a concrete case study.
An academic bachelor's degree from a research university.
|€ 10000||levensonderhoudper jaar|
inbegrepen in collegegeld
estimated monthly costs
|€||350||kamerhuur in Leidenrond het landelijk gemiddelde|
|€||158||collegegeldop basis van € 1906 per jaar|
|€||80||studieboeken en -spullen|
|€||77||uiterlijkkleding, kapper, schoenen|
|€||132||vrije tijdstappen, uit eten, vakantie|
|€||42||vervoernaast de OV-kaart|
|€||1218||totale maandelijkse uitgaven landelijk gemiddelde is € 1181|
Studenten en studentenleven
|7||studenten volgen deze opleiding|
|71%||daarvan is vrouw|
|?||eerstejaars gestart in 2017|
|?%||daarvan is vrouw|
|27713||studenten aan de Universiteit Leiden|
|59%||daarvan is vrouw|
InterlatinaIn de studievereniging InterLatina combineer je activiteiten op je vakgebied (Latijns-Amerikastudies) met gezelligheid. Een goede manier om je studiegenoten buiten de collegezalen te ontmoeten! InterLatina organiseert lezingen, swingende feesten, gezamenlijke etentjes, filmavonden en reizen naar Spanje en Portugal. Via InterLatina krijg je bovendien tien procent korting op je studieboeken.
Op kamers in Leiden
|€ 350||gemiddelde kamerprijs|
|20 m2||gemiddelde kameroppervlak|
aan het woord
Jacob Taylor - Student Testimonial Latin American Studies Leiden University
Two main reasons for Leiden
I chose the master's programme in Latin American studies at Leiden University for two main reasons: the significant difference in cost in comparison to the U.S. and, more importantly for me, this is the only programme outside of Spain in Europe offered entirely in Spanish. It was invigorating to be reading, writing and presenting in Spanish with professors from Chile, Peru and other places while studying in the Netherlands...
Pursuing a doctorate degree
I am currently pursuing a doctorate degree in Germany focused on Latin American studies. The lessons and guidance I received at Leiden, especially from Dr. Pablo Isla Monsalve, have prepared me to be a more well-rounded and objective researcher.
lees verder ...
Odi Driessen - Student Testimonial Latin American Studies Leiden University
Public policies in Latin America
Latin American Studies at Leiden University offered me the opportunity to expand my knowledge about public policies in Latin America. All the lectures were taught in Spanish and focused on contemporary topics, debates and issues affecting the continent...
After graduating I found a job at the Embassy of Chile where I learned even more about politics in Chile and the bilateral and multilateral relations between Latin American countries and the world. Even though I had an interesting job there, I felt it was time for a new experience. With help from one of the professors of the programme, I obtained a job as a tutor at Leiden University. I'm looking forward to sharing my knowledge with students.
lees verder ...
Prof. Patricio Silva
Testimonial Prof. Patricio Silva
“I want to understand contemporary Latin American societies based on their own history.”
“Many Dutch specialists on Latin American studies are ahead of new developments in their field. They publish articles in eminent academic journals and are regular speakers at major international congresses such as those of the Latin American Studies Association (LASA) in the United States and the Society for Latin American Studies (SLAS) in Great Britain.
Latin America is an absolute graveyard for theories...
It is important to take a good look at this continent because it is becoming increasingly important in economic terms for foreign investors. The fact that Latin America is a relatively stable region with no traces of religious extremism, is certainly a factor in this.
I come originally from Chile and have been lecturing in Leiden on the modern political history of Latin America since 1987. When studying the history of the region, I pay particular attention to the current si-tuation. I want to understand contemporary Latin American societies based on their own history.
Also, I constantly make it clear that there are different interpretations of that history; so for instance the 'official' version held by the elites is generally directly opposite to that of the indigenous population.”
lees verder ...
Feiten en / studie in cijfers
Na de studie
Beroepsperspectief / arbeidsmarkt
A master's degree enhances the career prospects of all bachelor's graduates, as does relevant work experience during your studies and choosing your electives strategically.
- Intake advisor at a governmental agency aimed at promoting integration and assimilation of immigrants
- Standards and certification officer at an NGO promoting fair trade
- HR business partner at a multinational company producing consumer goods
- Project officer for children's rights at an NGO
- Social researcher at a Dutch city council
- Coordinator at an NGO focussing on education
- Communications expert at an NGO focussing on food safety and food security
- Senior consular officer at an embassy in the Netherlands
- Student services officer at a university in the United Kingdom
- PhD candidate at a university in Chile
- PhD candidate at Leiden University
current job market
|Universiteit Leiden||Leraar VHO in Spaans part-time educational||geen aanvullende eisen|