|typeonderzoek, 120 EC|
|opleidingsduur2 jaar voltijd|
|honoursheeft honours track|
The two-year research master's allows you to freely combine subjects from seven specialisations: Turkish Studies; Arabic Studies; North African Studies; Persian Studies; Islam; Eastern Christianity; and Modern Middle East Studies.
Focus on a region such as the Arab world, North Africa or the Persian world, or on a discipline such as history, politics, literature or languages across a region. A key feature is our comparative approach to learning, which includes intra-Middle Eastern comparisons.
Additional courses develop your academic skills to an advanced level. You also have the opportunity to conduct field research in the Middle East or study courses at another top university.
- Leiden University's Humanities Faculty was recently ranked 25th in the Times Higher Education worldwide ranking.
Waarom aan de Universiteit Leiden?
- Leiden University is one of Europe's top research universities and an international centre of expertise for research in Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies. Students access the unique resources of Leiden University, including its world famous collections of original manuscripts and periodicals.
- At Leiden University, students can choose subjects from an expansive curriculum, including specialised subjects not available elsewhere. All classes are taught by accomplished scholars. Small classes give students valuable time interacting with lecturers.
- Our Master's in Middle Eastern Studies (Research) programme allows you to tailor your degree to reflect your interests. You can choose subjects from any of the seven specialisations. You also have the option to follow courses at another university, or conduct field research in the Middle East as part of your MA research project.
- Your qualification from Leiden University is respected by organisations worldwide. But that's not the only advantage of studying at Leiden. We challenge you to think harder, analyse more deeply, and devise new, creative solutions. Our graduates are critical thinkers in demand by organisations worldwide.
- Theory and Issues in Area Studies provides you with the theoretical and methodological tools used in the field of Area Studies.
- Choose between two core courses during your second semester. One course focuses on socio-scientific methods in Area Studies, and the other on cultural studies methods in Area Studies.
- A final core element during your third semester focuses on developing your research and academic writing skills in Areas Studies.
Core courses are complemented by courses specific to either Asian Studies or Middle Eastern Studies. You have the possibility of combining courses from both.
Your research MA is concluded with the writing of a thesis, which, in summarised form, could be published in an academic journal. Your thesis is central to your formal examination, during which you will present and defend your thesis.
For the most up to date course overview, see the e-Prospectus. Please note that this guide applies to the current academic year, which means that the curriculum for next year may slightly differ: https://studiegids.leidenuniv.nl/en/studies/show/6769/middle_eastern_studies_research
Theory and Issues in Area Studies
Core Elective Course
Mixed Methods in the Social Sciences and Humanities (ResMa)
Core Elective Course
Fieldwork / Study Abroad
Thesis Writing Seminar
|taal van onderwijs||100% en|
onderwijsvormenexcursie, groepsdiscussie, hoorcollege, literatuurstudie, mondelinge presentatie, onderzoek, onderzoeksproject, onderzoeksvoorstel, project, seminar, stage, zelfstudie
honours-/excellence program Leiden Leadership Programme
The Leiden Leadership Programme (LLP) is an honours programme of 15 ECs on top of the regular master's curriculum. The programme consists of training courses, seminars and a practical assignment.
Are you looking for an extra challenge in addition to your Leiden master's programme? Are you adventurous enough to look beyond the borders of your own master's programme? The Leiden Leadership Programme may be just what you are looking for. The programme gives you the opportunity to develop your leadership skills. You will follow seminars and courses, as well as carrying out a practical assignment for a company or organisation as part of a small, multidisciplinary team. Your lecturers will be leading academics and experienced professionals from the business sector.
Students can apply who have:
- Good study results in the bachelor's programme;
- The ambition and motivation to develop leadership qualities;
- A broad and interdisciplinary span of interest.
Toelating en kosten
aanmelding deadline : 15 juni 2020
wettelijk tarief : € 2143 (€1072 in het eerste jaar)
niet-EU/EER studenten : € 18300
aanmelding deadline : 15 juni 2021
collegegeld nog niet bekend
Affinity with the field should be demonstrated by a “Research Proposal”. All applicants are required to submit a Research Proposal of approximately 1000 words, accompanied by an annotated bibliography of at least five (5) items, outlining the topic or field of research that the applicant wishes to pursue at Leiden University, and indicating the names of one or two faculty members who might guide that research.
Good grades comparable with an average mark of at least 7.5 (Dutch grading system) for their entire bachelor's programme and a grade for the bachelor's thesis of an 8 or higher.
You are asked to provide a transcript of records and diploma of the relevant obtained academic degree.
Zie www.unileidenmasters.nl voor meer informatie.
Zie www.unileidenmasters.nl voor meer informatie.
Your motivation and suitability for your chosen specialization should be demonstrated by a well-argued and structured motivation letter in which the applicant indicates why he/she wants to follow the History programme and convincingly discusses what makes the applicant a good candidate for the research MA programme. The statement should be between 700 and 1,500 words.
inbegrepen in collegegeld
Inschatting maandelijkse studiekosten
|€||350||kamerhuur in Leidenrond het landelijk gemiddelde|
|€||172||collegegeldop basis van € 2060 per jaar|
|€||80||studieboeken en -spullen|
|€||77||uiterlijkkleding, kapper, schoenen|
|€||132||vrije tijdstappen, uit eten, vakantie|
|€||42||vervoernaast de OV-kaart|
|€||1218||totale maandelijkse uitgaven landelijk gemiddelde is € 1181|
Studenten en studentenleven
|13||studenten volgen deze opleiding|
|69%||daarvan is vrouw|
|2||eerstejaars gestart in 2017|
|100%||daarvan is vrouw|
|27713||studenten aan de Universiteit Leiden|
|59%||daarvan is vrouw|
HikmaHikma is a study association intended for all master and PhD students working on Middle Eastern, Near Eastern, and Islamic studies. We intend to offer an addition to the study programmes with lectures, informal peer review sessions, and a online blog in which students can publish their work.
Membership is open for all students in the master programmes of Middle Eastern Studies and Religious Studies, but also students from other disciplines (e.g. social sciences) working on the Middle East are invited to join.
Op kamers in Leiden
|€ 350||gemiddelde kamerprijs|
|20 m2||gemiddelde kameroppervlak|
aan het woord
Dr. Seyed Gohrab
Feiten en / studie in cijfers
Na de studie
|Amsterdam UVA||Lerarenopleiding Arabisch educational||+ aanv. eisen|
|Amsterdam UVA||Lerarenopleiding Hebreeuws part-time educational||+ aanv. eisen|