|!||Deze opleiding communiceert alleen in het Engels.|
We tonen daarom de Engelstalige opleidingsinformatie.
Are you interested in social scientific research and do you want to pursue a career in an academic research environment? The Research Master's in Social Sciences (RMSS) is designed for excellent students with an interest in research from various social scientific perspectives. With an extensive focus on advanced quantitative and qualitative research skills, the RMSS prepares students for an academic career in which they carry out high quality scientific research independently.
You will specialise in one of five fields of research:
- Institutions, inequality and life courses,
- Anthropology of health care and the body,
- Comparative international politics,
- Globalisation, flows and localities,
- or Migration and integration.
During the programme, you will choose between three research methods tracks: empirical-analytical, interpretative, and mixed.
|diplomaMSc Social Sciences (research)|
|typeonderzoek, 120 EC|
|opleidingsduur2 jaar voltijd|
|heeft geen numerus fixus|
- 20 ECTS in required courses
- 24 ECTS in electives from the thematic specialisation
- 52 ECTS in the field of research methodology (including a research-oriented internship and elective methods courses)
and an independent research project resulting in a manuscript or academic article, to be submitted for publication in a peer-reviewed academic journal (24 ECTS, thus totalling 120 ECTS).
|taal van onderwijs||100% en|
Toelating en studiekosten
|1 september 2018||aanmelding deadline : 1 maart 2018|
wettelijk tarief : € 2060
Applicants should have a solid basis in both qualitative and quantitative social sciences research methodology reflected by the completion of at least (an equivalent of) 30 ECTS during previous study. Experience with the following research methods skills is required:
- Make a solid research design
- Understand advantages and disadvantages of different research methods and a mixed methods approach
- Develop and apply a (simple) survey
- Interpret the results of a survey with a statistical package
- Be able to do statistical analysis, preferably with SPSS or similar software programme
- Conduct an interview
- Analyse the results of an interview
Promising candidates with slightly less than 30 ECTS of social sciences research methodology may be admitted provided that they complete an intensive research methodology module (four weeks) offered by the Graduate School of Social Sciences. Please note that this is up to the admissions committee to decide.
The programme seeks students with excellent academic records and who are able to handle heavy course loads. Study results obtained in previous education should demonstrate that a student is able to attain and maintain an excellent level, especially in the fields of social sciences and research methodology. Undergraduate studies should be completed with an overall grade average of at least a B+/A- /3.5 (American system), first class Honours degree (British system), B (ECTS system), 7.5 (Dutch system) or equivalent.
All applicants are required to submit official transcripts of each higher education institute attended, listing all courses and examinations already completed and currently enrolled in, and grades and credits obtained.
Applicants are expected to have a solid basis in the field of social studies of at least (an equivalent of) 30 ECTS credits earned during previous study.
All non-native speakers of English (including Dutch students) applying to one of the English-taught programmes offered by the Graduate School of Social Sciences, are required to demonstrate proficiency in the English language. All students must be able to read textbooks, understand lectures, take part in classroom discussions and undertake written work in English.
Applicants who are nationals of or who have obtained their Bachelor's degree in countries other than the United States, Australia, United Kingdom, Canada, Ireland or New Zealand are required to submit an English test score that meets specific requirements. Inability to do so will prevent enrollment.
The Research Master's Programme in Social Sciences seeks students with an academic Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in the fields of political science, sociology, anthropology or another closely related social sciences discipline.
All applicants are required to submit a statement of motivation.
estimated monthly costs
|€||424||kamerhuur in Amsterdamboven landelijk gemiddelde|
|€||158||collegegeldop basis van € 1906 per jaar|
|€||80||studieboeken en -spullen|
|€||77||uiterlijkkleding, kapper, schoenen|
|€||132||vrije tijdstappen, uit eten, vakantie|
|€||42||vervoernaast de OV-kaart|
|€||1292||totale maandelijkse uitgaven landelijk gemiddelde is € 1181|
Studenten en studentenleven
|?||studenten volgen deze opleiding|
|?%||daarvan is vrouw|
|?||eerstejaars gestart in 2012|
|?%||daarvan is vrouw|
|31019||studenten aan de Universiteit van Amsterdam|
|55%||daarvan is vrouw|
Op kamers in Amsterdam
|€ 424||gemiddelde kamerprijs|
|21 m2||gemiddelde kameroppervlak|
Feiten en / studie in cijfers
Na de studie
Beroepsperspectief / arbeidsmarkt
The programme provides a good foundation for PhD study, as well as for work in public research organisations and non-academic research institutions in the private sector. The Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research offers PhD programmes in the field of social sciences.
Specific career examples from alumni are:
- PhD-student and/or Assistant Professor (in a.o. Political Science, Sociology, Anthropology, Urban Studies, mainly at University of Amsterdam, but also at a.o. Erasmus University Rotterdam, Tilburg University, VU University Amsterdam, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid)
- Research Assistant, Dutch Scientific Council for Government Policy (WRR)
- Political Assistant to city senator, Amsterdam municipality
- Policy Advisor, Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Qualitative research consultant for opinion polling agency TNS NIPO
- Analyst at Accenture (consultancy, technology services, outsourcing)
current job market
vergeleken met andere studies
|zoektijd baan||zeer slecht|
|salaris na 1,5 jaar||slecht|
|kans op een vaste baan||gemiddeld|
- phd student