|!||Deze opleiding communiceert alleen in het Engels.|
We tonen daarom de Engelstalige opleidingsinformatie.
Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies at Leiden University has a reputation for its breadth and depth of expertise that is unmatched in Europe. You can explore subjects that span virtually the entire Middle East both in time and geography.
The two-year research master's allows you to freely combine subjects from seven specialisations: Turkish Studies; Arabic Studies; North African Studies; Persian Studies; Islam; Eastern Christianity; and Modern Middle East Studies.
Focus on a region such as the Arab world, North Africa or the Persian world, or on a discipline such as history, politics, literature or languages across a region. A key feature is our comparative approach to learning, which includes intra-Middle Eastern comparisons.
Additional courses develop your academic skills to an advanced level. You also have the opportunity to conduct field research in the Middle East or study courses at another top university.
- Leiden University's Humanities Faculty was recently ranked 17th in the Times Higher Education worldwide ranking.
|diplomaMA Midden-Oosten Studies (research)|
|typeonderzoek, 120 EC|
|start1 februari, 1 september|
|opleidingsduur2 jaar voltijd|
|heeft geen numerus fixus|
heeft een honours programma
Waarom aan de Universiteit Leiden?
- Leiden University is one of Europe's top research universities and an international centre of expertise for research in Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies. Students access the unique resources of Leiden University, including its world famous collections of original manuscripts and periodicals.
- At Leiden University, students can choose subjects from an expansive curriculum, including specialised subjects not available elsewhere. All classes are taught by accomplished scholars. Small classes give students valuable time interacting with lecturers.
- Our Master's in Middle Eastern Studies (Research) programme allows you to tailor your degree to reflect your interests. You can choose subjects from any of the seven specialisations. You also have the option to follow courses at another university, or conduct field research in the Middle East as part of your MA research project.
- Your qualification from Leiden University is respected by organisations worldwide. But that's not the only advantage of studying at Leiden. We challenge you to think harder, analyse more deeply, and devise new, creative solutions. Our graduates are critical thinkers in demand by organisations worldwide.
- Theory and Issues in Area Studies provides you with the theoretical and methodological tools used in the field of Area Studies.
- Choose between two core courses during your second semester. One course focuses on socio-scientific methods in Area Studies, and the other on cultural studies methods in Area Studies.
- A final core element during your third semester focuses on developing your research and academic writing skills in Areas Studies.
Core courses are complemented by courses specific to either Asian Studies or Middle Eastern Studies. You have the possibility of combining courses from both.
Your research MA is concluded with the writing of a thesis, which, in summarised form, could be published in an academic journal. Your thesis is central to your formal examination, during which you will present and defend your thesis.
For the most up to date course overview, see the e-Prospectus. Please note that this guide applies to the current academic year, which means that the curriculum for next year may slightly differ: https://studiegids.leidenuniv.nl/en/studies/show/4979/middle_eastern_studies_research
Theory and Issues in Area Studies
Core Elective Course
Mixed Methods in the Social Sciences and Humanities (ResMa)
Core Elective Course
Fieldwork / Study Abroad
Thesis Writing Seminar
|taal van onderwijs||100% en|
onderwijsvormenexcursion, group discussion, lecture, literature study, oral presentation, research, research project, research proposal, project, seminar, internship, self study
study abroadAfter the completion of their first year students are expected to spend a complete semester to do fieldwork or to study abroad at one of the institutions affiliated with the programme.
honours-/excellence program Leiden Leadership Programme
The Leiden Leadership Programme (LLP) is an honours programme of 15 ECs on top of the regular master's curriculum. The programme consists of training courses, seminars and a practical assignment.
Are you looking for an extra challenge in addition to your Leiden master's programme? Are you adventurous enough to look beyond the borders of your own master's programme? The Leiden Leadership Programme may be just what you are looking for.
The programme gives you the opportunity to develop your leadership skills. You will follow seminars and courses, as well as carrying out a practical assignment for a company or organisation as part of a small, multidisciplinary team. Your lecturers will be leading academics and experienced professionals from the business sector.
Toelating en studiekosten
|1 februari 2018||aanmelding deadline : 1 december 2017|
wettelijk tarief : € 2060
|1 februari 2019||aanmelding deadline : 1 december 2018|
collegegeld nog niet bekend
|1 september 2018||aanmelding deadline : 15 juni 2018|
wettelijk tarief : € 2060
|1 september 2019||aanmelding deadline : 15 juni 2019|
collegegeld nog niet bekend
Good grades comparable with an average mark of at least 7.5 (Dutch grading system) for the entire bachelor's programme, and a grade for the bachelor's thesis of an 8 or higher.
Knowledge of the fundamentals of Middle Eastern Studies and/or area studies, literary studies, linguistics, history and/or social sciences.
A bachelor's degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor's degree.
inbegrepen in collegegeld
estimated monthly costs
|€||350||kamerhuur in Leidenrond het landelijk gemiddelde|
|€||158||collegegeldop basis van € 1906 per jaar|
|€||80||studieboeken en -spullen|
|€||77||uiterlijkkleding, kapper, schoenen|
|€||132||vrije tijdstappen, uit eten, vakantie|
|€||42||vervoernaast de OV-kaart|
|€||1218||totale maandelijkse uitgaven landelijk gemiddelde is € 1181|
Studenten en studentenleven
|13||studenten volgen deze opleiding|
|69%||daarvan is vrouw|
|2||eerstejaars gestart in 2017|
|100%||daarvan is vrouw|
|26505||studenten aan de Universiteit Leiden|
|60%||daarvan is vrouw|
HikmaHikma is a study association intended for all master and PhD students working on Middle Eastern, Near Eastern, and Islamic studies. We intend to offer an addition to the study programmes with lectures, informal peer review sessions, and a online blog in which students can publish their work.
Membership is open for all students in the master programmes of Middle Eastern Studies and Religious Studies, but also students from other disciplines (e.g. social sciences) working on the Middle East are invited to join.
Op kamers in Leiden
|€ 350||gemiddelde kamerprijs|
|20 m2||gemiddelde kameroppervlak|
aan het woord
Farah Bazzi - Student Testimonial Middle Eastern Studies (research) Leiden University
“Understanding the present situation starts with understanding the history”
“Already having a Bachelor's in Political Science and a Bachelors in Middle Eastern Studies, I wanted to choose a master's that would combine both interests, and prepare me for a PhD. The research master's was the ideal choice because it is so interdisciplinary. As a student, you have a lot of freedom to put together your own programme. It's a small-scale master's with just 25 students, so you have more intensive contact with the lecturers.
I'm interested in the Levant, and specifically Lebanon and Syria...
With my research I want to look beyond the nationalist discourse and come to a different interpretation of Lebanese history. There are many different factors that play a role in the present conflict. If we want to explain the current situation in both Lebanon and Syria, we need to have a good understanding of the history of the region.
In the third semester there's the opportunity to do some fieldwork. For me, that will mean delving into the archives of the League of Nations in Geneva for some original material from the period.
In this master's you learn to put the Middle East in its global context. The programme gives you the intellectual baggage you need to go on to take a PhD.”
lees verder ...
Dr. Seyed Gohrab
Testimonial Dr. Seyed Gohrab
“Poetry is the most tangible icon of the identity of the Persian people.”
“I am a specialist of the New Persian language, literature and culture. Leiden University has a long history in studing New Persian. Shortly after the foundation of the University in 1575 Persian was being studied here, and masterpieces from Persian literature were being translated.Even today Leiden has an eminent reputation in this field, not only in Persian-speaking countries but also in Europe and America...
I am fascinated by the beauty of the Persian language. Poetry is the most tangible icon of the identity of the Persian people. Unlike in Egypt, for example, Persian kept its own language and culture after the invasion of the Islamic Arabs in Persian cultural areas.
Poetry is a bearer of Persian culture in all its facets. Astronomy and medical treatises were expressed in poetic form and even now we see on many ceremonial occasions, such as births and marriages, that classical Persian poems are recited. A TV presenter of a game show in Iran can readily recite a classical poem. Poets and writers have prominent status in Iran.”
lees verder ...
Feiten en / studie in cijfers
Na de studie
Beroepsperspectief / arbeidsmarkt
Positions of our graduates include:
- Freelance writer/translator/project coordinator at a translation centre
- Lecturer at a Dutch university
- Translator and executive secretary at an embassy in the Netherlands
- Policy officer for education and funding at a national student union
- PhD candidate at a university in Spain
- PhD candidate at Leiden University
- Policy officer for Sahel region at a ministry
- Production assistant at a Swedish museum
- Teacher of English/Islamic religion at an educational institute in Saudi Arabia
- Middle East representative at a shipping and forwarding company.
current job market
vergeleken met andere studies
|zoektijd baan||zeer slecht|
|salaris na 1,5 jaar||zeer slecht|
|kans op een vaste baan||gemiddeld|
|UvA||Lerarenopleiding Arabisch part-time educational||+ aanv. eisen|
|UvA||Lerarenopleiding Hebreeuws part-time educational||+ aanv. eisen|