For an overview of the subjects offered by this programme in the current year, check out the e-Prospectus: http://studiegids.leidenuniv.nl/studies/show/history-research-colonial-and-global-history. The subjects can vary from year to year.
Although the main focus of the programme is on your chosen specialisation, it also includes a number of courses enabling students to acquire a better understanding of theories on historical processes, historical debates and methodology of historical research. In the first semester, you will follow a course in historical methodology, in the second semester a course in research skills. Both courses are taught by first-rate instructors and address problems and issues highly relevant throughout your study.
The programme is as follows:
- Literature Seminar (10 EC)
- Two Research Seminars (20 EC)
- Historical Theory (10 EC)
- Research Skills (10 EC)
- Tutorial (10 EC): The tutorial will prepare you for writing your thesis.
- Research School Courses (10 EC)
- Two Optional Courses (20 EC): These may comprise Research Seminars offered by Leiden University or by other (foreign) universities. Alternatively, you can also opt for an internship.
- Classics: For those students who will not go abroad within their Optional Course space, it is obligatory to fill 10 EC with the Classics course.
- Thesis and exam (30 EC)