|!||Deze opleiding communiceert alleen in het Engels.|
We tonen daarom de Engelstalige opleidingsinformatie.
Designed for high-achieving students, Leiden University's Master's in Asia Studies (Research) offers access to unmatched resources and expertise.
Asian Studies at Leiden University has a reputation for excellence that is unmatched in Europe. You can choose subjects from a curriculum that spans virtually the entire Asian region both in geography and time.
Focus your studies on a region, such as China, Japan, Korea, South Asia or South-east Asia, or on or a discipline, such as politics, religion, art and material culture, languages and literature, with the option to work with a primary language.
A comparative, area studies approach to learning encourages a broader, contextual understanding of the issues at hand. Small classes allow for a high level of direct contact with your lecturers, many of whom are at the leading edge of their fields.
An important focus of this programme is developing your ability to conduct high-quality scientific research. You also have the opportunity to conduct field research in a country of your choice in Asia.
Leiden University's Humanities Faculty was recently ranked 17th in the Times Higher Education worldwide ranking.
|diplomaMA Azië Studies (research)|
|typeonderzoek, 120 EC|
|start1 februari, 1 september|
|opleidingsduur2 jaar voltijd|
|heeft geen numerus fixus|
heeft een honours programma
Waarom aan de Universiteit Leiden?
- Leiden University's Humanities Faculty recently ranked number 1 in Europe and 17th worldwide in the Times Higher Education ranking. Learn from scholars at the leading edge of Asia-related research in Europe and access world-class resources, including our world-famous collections of Asian manuscripts.
- At Leiden University, we offer you ample opportunity to tailor your degree to suit your career goals. An expansive curriculum allows you to explore a wider variety of issues. Combine courses from two different master's. Choose your own research project, travel abroad for fieldwork, and swap an elective for an internship.
- Classes at Leiden University are deliberately kept small to give students valuable time interacting with their lecturers and a high-level of guidance and support from staff and faculty. Our goal is to ensure every student reaches their full potential during their time at Leiden.
- Our reputation as a centre of excellence means that your qualification is respected by organisations worldwide. Our graduates enjoy successful careers thanks to their mix of relevant professional abilities, specialised and comparative knowledge, and critical-thinking skills.
- 'Theory and Issues in Area Studies' – which covers the theoretical and methodological tools common to the field of Area Studies.
- Your choice between two core courses: the deployment of socio-scientific methods in Area Studies, and the deployment of cultural studies methods in Area Studies.
- A core course on research skills and academic writing in Area Studies.
In addition to the core courses you will choose electives specific to either Asian Studies or Middle Eastern Studies. You can also combine courses from each of the two master's.
An MA thesis concludes the programme and must be presented during your final formal examination. Writing workshops and presentations will help prepare you for writing your thesis.
For the most up to date course overview, see the e-Prospectus. Please note that this guide applies to the current academic year, which means that the curriculum for next year may differ slightly: https://studiegids.leidenuniv.nl/en/studies/show/5043/asian_studies_research
Theory and Issues in Area Studies
Core Elective Course(s)
Mixed Methods in the Social Sciences and Humanities
Core Elective Course(s)
Fieldwork / Study Abroad
Thesis Writing Seminar
Research MA Thesis
|taal van onderwijs||100% en|
honours-/excellence program Leiden Leadership Programme
The Leiden Leadership Programme (LLP) is an honours programme of 15 ECs on top of the regular master's curriculum. The programme consists of training courses, seminars and a practical assignment.
Are you looking for an extra challenge in addition to your Leiden master's programme? Are you adventurous enough to look beyond the borders of your own master's programme? The Leiden Leadership Programme may be just what you are looking for. The programme gives you the opportunity to develop your leadership skills. You will follow seminars and courses, as well as carrying out a practical assignment for a company or organisation as part of a small, multidisciplinary team. Your lecturers will be leading academics and experienced professionals from the business sector.
Toelating en studiekosten
|1 februari 2018||aanmelding deadline : 1 december 2017|
collegegeld nog niet bekend
|1 september 2018||aanmelding deadline : 15 juni 2018|
collegegeld nog niet bekend
Good grades comparable with an average mark of at least 7.5 (Dutch grading system) for the entire bachelor's programme, and a grade for the bachelor's thesis of an 8 or higher.
Knowledge of the fundamentals of Asian Studies and/or area studies, literary studies, linguistics, history and/or social sciences.
A bachelor's degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor's degree, in Humanities or Social Sciences.
|€ 10000||levensonderhoudper jaar|
inbegrepen in collegegeld
estimated monthly costs
|€||350||kamerhuur in Leidenrond het landelijk gemiddelde|
|€||158||collegegeldop basis van € 1906 per jaar|
|€||80||studieboeken en -spullen|
|€||77||uiterlijkkleding, kapper, schoenen|
|€||132||vrije tijdstappen, uit eten, vakantie|
|€||42||vervoernaast de OV-kaart|
|€||1218||totale maandelijkse uitgaven landelijk gemiddelde is € 1181|
Studenten en studentenleven
|?||studenten volgen deze opleiding|
|?%||daarvan is vrouw|
|?||eerstejaars gestart in 2012|
|?%||daarvan is vrouw|
|26505||studenten aan de Universiteit Leiden|
|60%||daarvan is vrouw|
SVSOur student study association SVS (Studie Vereniging Sinologie) is for Chinastudies students at the University of Leiden. We provide help for our members during their 3 year Bachelorprogram, by arranging study related activities, excursions, workshops, our student book sale and career days. Additionally we aim to make the best of our time as students, organizing many fun activities to balance out the hard working life of a student.
Op kamers in Leiden
|€ 350||gemiddelde kamerprijs|
|20 m2||gemiddelde kameroppervlak|
aan het woord
Deirdre Sneep - Student Testimonial Asian Studies Leiden University
“After my BA in Japanese Studies I heard about the Research Master's in Asian Studies and I checked the courses they offered online. This research master's focuses on doing research and also gives you a lot of freedom to follow the courses that you are interested in. I thought it looked challenging and I liked the fact that I could pick and choose my own track, so I applied.”
My work as a PhD candidate is not so different from what I did as a master's student in Leiden when it comes to the research. You need to be able to write decent research proposals, and you have to know your theoretical framework, etc., most of which I learned during my master's. The Institute where I am now working also emphasizes an interdisciplinary approach to research in East Asia, so it helped a lot that I was already used to working in an interdisciplinary classroom at Leiden. I always hoped to end up working in an academic environment, and I am glad I chose a research master's to help me get where I am now.”
lees verder ...
Feiten en / studie in cijfers
Na de studie
Beroepsperspectief / arbeidsmarkt
A master's degree enhances the career prospects of all bachelor's graduates, as does relevant work experience during your studies and choosing your electives strategically.
Experience and knowledge of Asia combined with advanced analytical skills are also in demand in careers in publishing, international trade, public relations, education, development aid, or in government, international organisations and NGOs. Leiden University Asian Studies graduates often find employment in Asia itself.
Positions of our graduates include:
- Freelance writer at a magazine and online platform focussing on China
- Teacher at Leiden University
- Researcher and teaching staff member at Leiden University
- PhD candidate at Leiden University
- PhD candidate at a university in Asia
- Junior underwriter at an insurance company
- Area Manager Asia at the Netherlands Council for Trade Promotion
- Consular Officer at the Dutch Embassy
- Coordinator, International Relations at Mima City Hall
current job market
vergeleken met andere studies
|zoektijd baan||zeer slecht|
|salaris na 1,5 jaar||zeer slecht|
|kans op een vaste baan||gemiddeld|